Calgary girl playing in blanket fort paralyzed by broken glass
Toddler fell through the top and landed on a cup
A Calgary toddler is able to move her arm and wiggle her toes weeks after she was partially paralyzed by a shard of glass in a freak accident.
Two-year-old Jaclyn Derks had built a blanket fort at her grandparents' house in July when she fell through the top and landed on a glass cup.
The cup broke and a small piece went into the back of her neck.
The child's mother, Kayla Rudichuk, says a surgeon was able to remove the glass, but her daughter's spinal cord was severed in half.
Rudichuk says the accident caused paralysis on the girl's left side.
She says doctors don't have a prognosis, but are impressed with progress the girl is making in hospital.
- MORE ALBERTA NEWS | Teen charged after German tourist shot in head while driving west of Calgary
- MORE ALBERTA NEWS | Police investigating alleged attack on journalist in northeast Calgary
- MORE ALBERTA NEWS | Alberta accounted for 97% of federal income tax decline during recession's height
- Read more articles by CBC Calgary, like us on Facebook for updates and subscribe to our CBC Calgary newsletter for the day's news at a glance.