Calgary

Calgary gas leak prompts building evacuation

In the midst of a power outage, some residents of downtown Calgary were evacuated from their apartment building Sunday afternoon after a gas leak.

Fire crews say there was a gas leak in the building but could not confirm what kind of gas

Fire crews are taking a reading of carbon monoxide levels at the Calgary Place Apartments after an alarm went off Sunday afternoon. (Meghan Grant/CBC)

In the midst of a power outage, some residents of downtown Calgary were evacuated from their apartment building Sunday afternoon after a gas leak.

Fire crews confirm the leak happened in a building at Ninth Street and Fifth Avenue S.W. around 1 p.m. MT.

They could not confirm what kind of gas leaked but said the evacuation order was not mandatory.

The leak comes as the city grapples with a power outage resulting from an underground electrical fire Saturday night.

Enmax says the cause of the fire is still unclear but that it caused extensive damage to the electrical infrastructure.

Power has been shut off to about 5,000 residents as a precaution.

As well, fire crews are at the scene of a potential carbon monoxide leak at Calgary Place Apartments.

Crews are taking readings to see whether there is any carbon monoxide in the air, after an alarm went off in that location.

There is no evacuation order in effect for the building.