Family Day weekend: What's open and what's not in Calgary
From tobagganing to skating to swimming, there are lots of activities to keep families entertained
It's Family Day on Monday and that means some City of Calgary facilities and services will be operating at a reduced level.
Here's a rundown of what you'll need to know.
On Family Day Monday, Calgary Transit will operate on a Sunday level of service.
Bus and train schedules can be found online.
All on-street parking is free, and holiday rates will be in effect at some Calgary Parking Authority parkades and surface lots.
Regular rates will be in effect at the Calgary Zoo, Telus Spark and Heritage Park.
- Shouldice Arena
- Rose Kohn/Jimmie Condon Arena
- Stu Peppard
- Stew Hendry/Henry Viney Arena
- Ernie Starr Arena
- Murray Copot Arena
- Optimist/George Blundun Arena
- Murray Copot Arena
Tobogganing and sledding
Tobogganing and sledding is allowed at 22 city-approved hills.
Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing
Enjoy a free public swim from 1 to 2:30 and 3 to 4:30 p.m. on Family Day Monday at the following city facilities:
- Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Canyon Meadows Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Inglewood Aquatic Centre
- Killarney Aquatic & Recreation Centre
- Shouldice Aquatic Centre
- Thornhill Aquatic & Recreation Centre
In the community
- Celebrate Chinese New Year at the Calgary Chinese Cultural Centre's 2018 Chinese Lunar New Year Festival from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. or at the Core's Chinese New Year Celebration on Saturday and Sunday from noon to 3 p.m.
- Bow Habitat Station is hosting a Family FISHtival on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Families are invited to roast a marshmallow, trek through the park on snowshoes, practice their fish identification skills, tie a fly and more.
- Heritage Park's Family Quest is back at Gasoline Alley Museum on the Family Day weekend.
- Studio Bell is hosting a day of family fun on Monday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., featuring scratch DJ extraordinaire Kid Koala performing a set called Music to Draw To.
- Fort Calgary is hosting Winterfest on Monday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with family-friendly activities including stories told by a Blackfoot knowledge keeper, a showing of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good and Very Bad Day, along with games and crafts and a Mountie uniform try-on session with the RCMP. Cost for the event is admission to the museum.
- Eau Claire Market will have live entertainment, a petting zoo, crafts, carnival games and special guests PJ Masks on Monday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Around the house
Both the Spyhill landfill and the East Calgary landfill will be open Monday from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
City facility closures
The following facilities will be closed on Monday:
- All City of Calgary administrative buildings, including city hall.
- Wildflower Arts Centre and North Mount Pleasant Arts Centre.
- Nature Centre at Inglewood Bird Sanctuary.
- Animal Services Centre.
- Acadia Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
- Beltline Aquatic and Fitness Centre.
- Foothills Aquatic Centre.
- Glenmore Aquatic Centre.
- Renfrew Aquatic and Recreation Centre.
- Sir Winston Churchill Aquatic and Recreation Centre.