Calgary Expo postponed due to COVID-19 spread
Organizers say they hoped 'unprecedented protocols' would have stalled cases faster
Calgary Expo has delayed its hugely popular four-day event and parade due to health risks from the novel coronavirus, according to a Facebook post Monday.
The expo, which has drawn just under 100,000 people in recent years, had been scheduled for April 23-26. It'll be postponed to a new date in the summer.
"We'd originally hoped that the collective emergency response to COVID-19 and the unprecedented protocols put in place would control this horrible virus quickly enough for us to bring you the show in some form," Fan Expo HQ president Aman Gupta said in an email to fans.
"However, it's clear to all of us that the right thing to do is to postpone Calgary Expo 2020 to another date this year. Ultimately, the safety of our fans, guests and staff comes first."
Gupta said she hoped to have a new date set by March 30.
Alberta health officials have banned all events of more than 50 people in order to avoid further spreading the illness, which can be deadly. As of Sunday, there were 259 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Alberta, most of them in Calgary. One person has died in the province.