Blow-dryer causes shampoo can to explode, blowing bathroom door off hinges
Calgary fire department says hairdryer left plugged in caused nearby aerosol can to blow up
A blow-dryer left plugged in created enough heat to cause an aerosol can of dry shampoo to explode in a northeast Calgary on Thursday afternoon, fire officials say.
A woman phoned 911 about 1 p.m. MT to report hearing an explosion on the second floor of her Coral Springs home.
She went upstairs and found a bathroom door had been blown off the hinges and some towels were on fire, which she put out.
Fire crews arrived and found remnants of a small explosion and fire.
"The fire investigator determined that a hair-dryer which had been plugged in created enough heat to cause an aerosol dry shampoo can sitting nearby to explode with substantial force," said a release.
"The bathroom sustained damage to the door, cabinet and bathtub tiles as a result of the blast. The investigation will now focus on the hairdryer to determine any possible malfunction of the appliance."
The fire department also shared some fire prevention tips, including:
- Always unplug appliances such as curling irons, flat irons and blow-dryers that aren't in use.
- When done using appliances that create heat, place them on a hard, non-combustible surface and away from anything that can burn, until they have cooled down.
- Use extreme caution with aerosol cans as they can cause a dangerous explosion if heated.
- Always read the manufacturers' instructions and warnings on all household products.
- Ensure you have working smoke alarms on every level of your home.
More fire safety information can be found online.