Bobsled track deaths will not lead to charges, say police

Calgary police have concluded their investigation into the bobsled track death of two teens at Canada Olympic Park and will not be laying charges.

Investigation into crash that killed Evan and Jordan Caldwell has concluded

Jordan and Evan Caldwell were killed when attempting to slide down the bobsled track at Canada Olympic Park on Feb. 6. (Submitted by the Caldwell family)

Calgary police have concluded their investigation into the bobsled track death of twins Evan and Jordan Caldwell at Canada Olympic Park and will not be laying charges. 

The 17-year-olds died after the plastic sleds they were riding on crashed. 

After interviewing all the survivors, police have clarified what happened that night. 

According to a press release, eight teenagers climbed over a locked, seven-foot fence at approximately 1:10 a.m. on Feb. 6 in order to slide down the closed track on three plastic sleds. 

Evan was sitting on the back of the first sled, along with two of the other teens, not identified by police. The trio came to the barrier on the fifth turn of the track, passing under a chain that keeps it in place and smashing into the obstruction, according to police.

Two of the teens on that sled slid farther down the track after the collision.

The barrier used to separate the bobsled and luge portions of the track at Canada Olympic Park in Calgary is secured in place by a chain. (CBC)

The second group of three teens was not aware of the crash when they set off from the top of the run, said police. They too passed under the chain strung across the track and collided with one of the teens from the first sled, who was lying on the track. 

One of the teens from the second sled ran up the hill in an attempt to warn the third group of sliders, but they had already started down. 

The third sled had two riders, including Jordan Caldwell who was sitting at the front. As they approached the previous collisions, Jordan struck the chain, and he and the unidentified second rider came to a rest near the other injured teens. 

It was determined both twins died from multiple, blunt-force trauma. Drugs and alcohol are not believed to be involved in the incident. 

All survivors have been released from the hospital, but police said one will have unspecified "life-altering injuries."

Police said they would not comment further.

A spokesperson for WinSport, which runs the facility, said their thoughts continue to be with the families affected. 

"We want to thank the Calgary Police Service for their work in their investigation," Dale Oviatt wrote by email. "WinSport's investigation is ongoing."


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Account Holder

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?