Calgary

Barbecue fire contained at downtown Calgary apartment

Fire crews are in downtown Calgary for a possible fire at a downtown apartment building.

Resident called fire department from 14th floor

Fire responders were called to an apartment in downtown Calgary Thursday night after a barbecue caught fire. (Neil Herland/CBC)

Fire crews say a barbecue fire was the culprit behind the evacuation of a downtown apartment building Thursday night.

Emergency responders were called to the 800 block of Seventh Avenue S.W. at 6:15 p.m. MT Thursday.

Police says a resident called about smoke coming from vents and now people were forced out of the building.

Residents were taken to the nearby Sandman Hotel but fire officials say the incident has now been contained.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversationCreate account

Already have an account?

now