Alberta peace officer's accused killer appears in court

The man accused of killing Rod Lazenby appeared in court again Monday just minutes before a memorial for the Alberta peace officer was set to start in Edmonton.

Former Mountie remembered at memorial service as 'super guy'

Police charged Trevor Kloschinsky, 46, with first-degree murder in the death of peace officer Rod Lazenby. (Courtesy of Stuart Gradon/Calgary Herald)

The man accused of killing Rod Lazenby appeared in court again Monday just minutes before a memorial for the Alberta peace officer was set to start in Edmonton.

Lazenby, a retired Mountie, was a rural peace officer who was tasked with enforcing municipal bylaws in the M.D. of Foothills since January 2009.

He died in hospital after responding to an animal complaint near Priddis, Alta.

On Monday, a Calgary courtroom heard that Trevor Kloschinsky now has a lawyer but he has not yet seen a doctor for a mental fitness review.

He appeared in person with shackled arms and legs and didn't say much, other than thanking the judge at the end of his appearance.

It was a stark difference from his first court appearance via closed circuit TV when he walked into the room and leaned against the side wall, looking away from the camera and not saying a word.

Kloschinsky will be represented by Kim Ross, a longtime Calgary defence lawyer who has taken part in many high-profile cases  — including Michael Roberto who was found guilty in a triple murder at a Calgary restaurant that went to court last October.

The Calgary courtroom also heard Ross has only received a small portion of the disclosure packages of the case from the Crown needed to proceed.

Meanwhile at a downtown funeral home in Edmonton, Lazenby was remembered as a wonderful person.

"He would do anything for anybody," said his cousin Dale Erickson following the service Monday. "He was just a super guy."

Lazenby's family is having a hard time dealing with his death, he said.

"What a way to go," Erickson said.

Kloschinsky is expected back in court on Sept. 10.