Clams from area closed due to fecal contamination believed sold in Victoria's Chinatown
Fisheries and Oceans warns anyone experiencing sickness from eating clams to see their doctor immediately
Clams harvested from an area closed due to fecal contamination may have been sold in Victoria's Chinatown, Fisheries and Oceans Canada said Thursday in a statement.
The agency is warning consumers the contaminated clams could be "dangerous and potentially fatal," and says cooking them will not make them safe to eat.
The B.C. Centre for Disease control says shellfish contaminated by sewage could result in Hepatitis A and norovirus.
Symptoms for both diseases include abdominal discomfort, nausea, fatigue and fever. Norovirus symptoms also include diarrhea and vomiting.
Anyone experiencing these symptoms in relation to eating shellfish should contact their doctor immediately, said the regulatory agency.
It's also reminding people to buy shellfish from reputable vendors and points out all commercially-harvested shellfish is required to be processed and inspected in a federally registered processing plant.
Anyone with information is asked to call the DFO at 1-800-465-4336.