British Columbia

Targeted shooting at Burnaby Cactus Club injures 1 man

One man is in hospital with non-life threatening injuries after a shooting at the Burnaby Cactus Club restaurant Tuesday afternoon.

1 man in hospital with minor injuries after shots fired in restaurant Tuesday afternoon

A male suspect walked into a Burnaby restaurant and opened fire 1:30

One man in his 30s is in hospital with non-life threatening injuries after a targeted shooting at the Cactus Club restaurant in the 4800 block of Kingsway in Burnaby, B.C., Tuesday afternoon.

Burnaby RCMP Insp. Steve Wade said the incident occurred around 1:30 p.m. PT when an unidentified man walked into the restaurant and opened fire in the restaurant.

Several patrons were eating inside the restaurant at the time, said RCMP spokesman Sgt. Peter Thiessen.

"It is extremely fortunate that no innocent bystanders were injured," he said.

Because only one man was injured, police believe the attack was targeted. The man, who was taken to a nearby hospital, was sitting inside the restaurant with a group of other men when the shooting took place.

However, Thiessen said police don't know for sure whether or not the attack is gang related.

Initial reports indicate the suspect fled the scene on foot. Kingsway was closed in both directions near  the Metrotown Mall for several hours after the shooting, as were local businesses and a nearby international school.

Shooting rattles residents

Nearby Essato Pizza owner Randeep Kaur said she was stuck in traffic on Kingsway for five hours after the attack. Her sister, who was working at the shop, called to say there had been a shooting.

"It was scary because it happened right inside the restaurant," she said. "It is shocking."

Kaur maintains the neighbourhood is safe because the street is typically very busy, even late at night.

"It is considered to be a safe neighbourhood, but you never know," she said.  

Resident Murad Aldan also said the area is generally safe and was shocked when he heard about the shooting. Murad said he hopes police arrest a suspect soon so that people in the neighbourhood can feel safe once again.

"I like this neighbourhood and we don't need these kind of problems," he said.

So far, no one has been arrested and police are interviewing witnesses in the hopes of developing a composite sketch later this evening.

Burnaby RCMP Serious Crime Unit continues to investigate with the assistance of the Lower Mainland District RCMP Integrated Police Dog Service and Forensic Identification Service.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the RCMP.

CBC news