British Columbia

Suspicious Coquitlam fire causes millions in damage

A 90-year-old Coquitlam man is out of his home after it was badly damaged by a fire that consumed the house under construction next door.

House under construction destroyed, 90-year-old man can't go home

Neighbour Amber Haines took this photo from across the street. She says the heat was so intense, it was burning her thighs.

A 90-year-old Coquitlam man is out of his home after it was badly damaged by a fire that consumed the house under construction next door.

Lyle Howarth says he went out to dinner Saturday night, and when he returned, he found his house burned and was told he couldn't go home.

"I've been living here for pushing 40 years now and it's home for me and my home has been taken away from me," he said. "I felt like someone had taken their fist and driven it into my abdomen."

Lyle Howarth says he's lived in his home for 40 years and being told he couldn't go home was like a punch to the gut. (CBC)

​The two-alarm fire quickly spread from the house under construction to two neighbouring properties, badly damaging both, one of which was Howarth's

Howarth says he stayed with a friend Saturday night, but will probably go to a senior's residence until his home is declared safe.

Fire started with a bang

Coquitlam Fire Chief Dennis Barron says crews were called around 6:45 p.m. PT to the home under construction in the 900 block of Porter Street to find it fully engulfed in flames.

"We've talked to a number of the residents in the area, and what they said was they heard a large bang, and they came out to a ball of flames. There was no one in the building at the time, so how it happened we don't know."

Coquitlam Fire Chief Dennis Barron says residents reported hearing a loud bang and coming out of their homes to find a ball of flame. (submitted by Amber Haines)

Barron says damage costs could be as high as $2 million, although he says there is, as yet, no official estimate. He says the department is treating the fire as suspicious.

Amber Haines who lives nearby says the flames were bigger than anything she'd ever seen. She says it was a frightening experience because she didn't know if anyone was inside the building.

"The heat was so intense that it burned my thighs," she said. "I felt really scared. Like I was honestly scared. I was shaking. When I called 911, I was panicking." 

No one was hurt in the fire.

Its cause is still under investigation.

MAP: 900 block of Porter Street, Coquitlam

With files from Kiran Dhillon


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?