Surrey parent to talk portables with B.C.'s Education Minister
Surrey currently is home to 275 temporary school portables
A Surrey mother of two will be at the B.C. legislature in Victoria Wednesday to meet with Minister of Education Mike Bernier about overcrowded classrooms.
Cindy Dalglish says she will tell Bernier she does not want her children to spend their school years in portables.
"I would like to see that not happen, I would like to see portables used for what they were intended, like seismic upgrades and when new schools are built."
Last month, school board trustee Laurae McNally asked Surrey city councillors to halt all new development proposals until the district receives more capital funding to build additional schools.
Meanwhile, the NDP says it is up to the government to keep its promise of dealing with the issue of overcrowding.
"The overcrowding situation in Surrey is getting worse and this government has promised for at least five years that they would get on top of it. I think Surrey parents have had enough of broken promises," said BC NDP education critic, Rob Fleming.
Bernier told CBC in April there are already three new schools in the works which will accommodate 2,000 students.