British Columbia

Surrey dog recovering from torture attack after arrest of blood-soaked woman

A black Labrador belonging to a Surrey, B.C., man is recovering from a brutal attack after RCMP arrested a 24-year-old woman covered in the dog's blood.

Suspect sent for psychiatric evaluation and her 4-year-old daughter placed in care

Dog recovering from torture attack

CBC News Vancouver at 6

6 years ago
Blood-soaked woman arrested in Surrey 2:31

A dog belonging to a Surrey, B.C., man is recovering from a brutal attack after RCMP arrested a 24-year-old woman covered in the dog's blood.

Ryan Westaway said his three-year-old black Labrador named Ryder ran away on Saturday after his three-year-old son accidentally let him out.

On Sunday, police told Westaway that Ryder had been found stabbed and beaten in someone's home.

Ryan Westaway says Ryder is recovering from the attack. (Dan Burritt/CBC)

RCMP Cpl. Bert Paquet said police were not looking for the dog when they were called to a home in the 7600 block of 146 Street in Surrey.

"A neighbour called us reporting a suspicious occurrence, had also found a female covered in blood, which was found to be the dog's blood," Paquet said. "At that point our investigators looked at the dog and were able to connect the injuries to a 24-year-old female who resides at that location."

Paquet said the dog was in obvious distress with severe injuries. He said the woman has been sent for psychiatric evaluation and her four-year-old daughter placed in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

Westaway said that when he and Ryder were reunited on Sunday, he was horrified by the dog's condition.

"He heard my voice and he ran right up to me. I couldn't even recognize him. He looked horrific. His eyes were closed shut completely," said Westaway.

Ryder expected to survive

After Westaway took Ryder to the vet, he learned someone had tried to stuff several items down his dog's throat and into his eyes.

These objects were recovered from Ryder's stomach by a veterinarian. (Dan Burritt/CBC)

"They told me he was badly poked in the eye with jewelry, earrings, rings, hit in the head and eyes with a hammer and fed objects down his throat, and his mouth was taped shut."

"We opened his mouth and he had major lacerations to his throat, deep lacerations by either a knife, to me it looks like some kind of sharp object."

Veterinarian Dr. Baljit Mrar opened Ryder's stomach and found a large pendant, four lighters, a fish hook, and even a SIM card.

"Even we found some raisins in his stomach, which are toxic to dogs, and it causes renal failure," said Mrar.

An X-ray image shows the objects in Ryder's stomach before they were removed. (Dan Burritt/CBC)

Ryder is still in an animal hospital but is expected to survive.

"I do thank the police officers," Westaway said, "because if they never went into that house, we would have never seen our dog again. And he would have died a horrific death."