Star Wars-themed Christmas safety message from Vancouver police
Vancouver Police's annual safety message for Christmas shoppers is back in force with a Star Wars-themed video this year.
The video takes inspiration from the opening of the original movies and famous soundtrack.
The police's Auto Crime Enforcement Unit has teamed up with the Safer Parking Initiative and Canadian Direct Insurance to warn shoppers to not leave their Christmas shopping visible in their cars or risk theft.
It suggests that shoppers:
- lock items in their trunks.
- do not leave any possessions visible in their cars.
- try not to make multiple trips to the car to drop off their shopping.
- disable the trunk latch so the trunk cannot be opened from inside the car.
- and report suspicious people to police.
"If you follow this, you'll have a merry Christmas and a safer Christmas ... because the force is with you, as are all the local police forces," says a police officer dressed up in a Star Wars rebel pilot costume.
Theft-from-auto has been steadily going down over a 10-year period, according to statistics released by Vancouver police.
There were 9,645 thefts in 2014 compared to more than 17,900 in 2004.