British Columbia

Shooting death of Hudson Brooks: B.C. NDP wants answers

B.C. NDP's justice critic wants to know why the Independant Investigations Office is taking so long to provide its report on Hudson Brooks who was shot to death by police in July 2015.

Hudson Brooks was gunned down outside the South Surrey RCMP detachment in July 2015.

Beaudry Brooks sits next to a spray painted tribute to his brother Hudson Brooks. (Facebook)

B.C. NDP's justice critic wants to know why the Independent Investigations Office is taking so long to provide its report on Hudson Brooks, who was shot to death by police in July 2015.

The 20-year old died after being shot outside a South Surrey RCMP community policing station. Now, the B.C. NDP is calling on the provincial government to address why Brooks' family still doesn't have answers eight months later.

"We're hearing that it's taking a long time to get some reports, ballistic for example. That again raises a lot of questions — why is it taking so long, why are there no answers," said Mike Farnworth, B.C. NDP MLA for Port Coquitlam.

"Is it a lack of resources, have you reduced staffing, are there shortages in staffing?"

The IIO is an independent civilian-led body that conducts investigations into on and off duty police incidents that result in death or serious harm.

'It's devastating'

Farnworth says the case was poorly handled from the start.

"It's devastating. I mean the family was not notified their son had been killed for 12 hours, the family was not allowed to see the body, right away, it took almost a week," he said.

"And then since that time, no answers."

Family and friends marched through the streets of Surrey on October 18, 2015, demanding answers for 20-year-old's police shooting death. (CBC)

Neither the IIO nor the RCMP has revealed what happened in the moments leading up to the shooting, and why, or how a weapon was drawn.

But the IIO has said that a female officer suffered a gunshot wound to the leg during an altercation, after responding to reports of a suicidal man.

Police confirmed Brooks was unarmed at the time of the shooting.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?