Royal visit means road closures in Vancouver, Victoria this weekend
William and Kate will be at the Legislature on Saturday afternoon and will spend Sunday in Vancouver
When William and Kate arrive in Victoria and Vancouver this weekend, it's going to trigger some royal road closures.
- Read more stories about the royal visit
- Where to meet William and Kate, and maybe George and Charlotte too
In Victoria,most of the action will take place on the lawn of the Legislature when Will and Kate arrive at 5 p.m. PT, Saturday. Road closures will include:
- Wharf and Humboldt Streets between Courtney Street and Gordon Street.
- Government Street from Wharf to Superior Street.
- Belleville Street from Oswego Street to Douglas Street.
- Menzies Street from Belleville to Superior Street.
Traffic access will be limited to local traffic only on:
- Wharf Street between Fort and Douglas streets.
- Oswego Street between Belleville and Superior streets.
- Sections of Quebec, Kingston, and Superior streets close to the legislative buildings.
Rolling closures in Vancouver
In Vancouver on Sunday, where the Duke and Duchess have several public and private stops planned, the closures are more widespread. They include:
- Full closure of 1000 Canada Place from 10:15 am to 11:15 am for the official public event.
- Seawall delays or closures at the Vancouver Convention Centre – 10:15 am to 11:15 am.
- Local traffic only – Whyte Avenue – 12:00 pm – 4:15 pm.
- Full closure – Whyte Avenue – 2:00 pm – 4:15 pm.
- Seawall delays or closures – Vanier Park – 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.
There will also be other temporary road closures throughout the day related to the movements of the motorcade, but these cannot be shared for security reasons, say officials.
The events that have public viewing areas are:
- 10:45 - Public arrival in Vancouver at Jack Poole Plaza
- 15:15 - Arrival at first responders showcase at the Kitsilano Coast Guard Station