Pattullo Bridge lane closures start today: single lane in both directions
Crossing the Fraser River, especially during rush hour, just got a lot harder
The Patullo Bridge is down to a single lane in both directions as of today, and so far traffic has been moving at a crawl.
It's something drivers crossing the Fraser River will have to deal with for the next five months as the 79-year-old structure undergoes a complete deck resurfacing.
CBC traffic reporter Amy Bell said lineups for the Patullo started much earlier than usual Monday morning.
She also said the majority of commuters appeared to be choosing the non-tolled option of the Alex Fraser Bridge over the tolled option of the Port Mann.
The Pattullo Bridge rehabilitation project runs until Oct. 3.
Pattullo Bridge closure summary:
- The entire bridge was closed April 29 (8:00 p.m. PT) to May 2 (5:00 a.m. PT) to allow crews to set up for construction work.
- From May 2 to Sept. 30, only one lane in both directions will be open.
- Truck access will be maintained.
- Cyclists and pedestrians will have access to the bridge at all times along the sidewalk.
- The bridge will be closed to all vehicle traffic two nights a week and one weekend a month.
- The bridge will be closed from the evening of Sept. 30 (8 p.m. PT) to the morning of Oct. 3 (5 a.m PT.) for crews to remove equipment.