16-year-old girl dies of suspected overdose in Port Moody Starbucks bathroom
Starbucks staff discovered unresponsive girl Sunday afternoon; emergency services could not revive her
Port Moody police say a 16-year-old girl died Sunday in a Port Moody Starbucks washroom where they also discovered drug paraphernalia and a small amount of drugs.
Police say they were called to the coffee shop on Ioco Road at around 5:19 p.m. PT by Starbucks staff. When they arrived, they say the B.C. Ambulance Service and Port Moody Fire Rescue were already there, trying to revive the young woman.
- Drug users call for more supervised injection sites during fentanyl crisis
- Overdose deaths up from 40 a month in 2015 to 64 a month this year
- Increase in overdose deaths prompts B.C. to declare public health emergency
Port Moody Sgt. Travis Carroll says the teen's death highlights the dangers of illicit drug use.
"The Port Moody Police would like to emphasize that the risks involved in using illegal drug use are real and can easily result in unintended overdose," Carroll said in an emailed statement.
Police have previously cautioned, particularly given the recent rise in fentanyl-related deaths, that anyone using drugs should not use alone.
However, Carroll says police cannot yet say whether fentanyl was involved. The B.C. Coroners Service is investigating.