Norovirus outbreak triggers shellfish closure north of Tofino
'We are reassured that it is unlikely any contaminated oysters are currently available in distribution'
Part of Clayoqout Sound has been closed for shellfish harvesting after more than 100 people got sick after eating raw oysters at a festival in Tofino last month.
A closure notice was posted for shellfish harvesting in Lemmens Inlet after norovirus was detected in both humans and oysters.
Island Health medical health officer Dr. Paul Hasselback said the investigation is ongoing and there may be further action.
"This is not a common event and at this point in time, we have not been able to determine why the oysters have become contaminated," he said.
"We are reassured that it is unlikely any contaminated oysters are currently available in distribution."