British Columbia

Nanuq, beluga whale, dies at SeaWorld Orlando, on loan from Vancouver Aquarium

One of Vancouver Aquarium's male beluga whales has died while on loan to SeaWorld Orlando, after being treated for an infection associated with a fractured jaw.

Cause of whale's death unknown, but it did have infection in fractured jaw

Nanuq the beluga whale, seen here at the Vancouver Aquarium, died in Orlando triggering an old debate about captive breeding. (CBC News)

One of Vancouver Aquarium's male beluga whales has died while on loan to SeaWorld Orlando after being treated for an infection associated with a fractured jaw.

Sea World officials said Friday that Nanuq died Thursday, but the cause of the animal's death won't be determined until a post mortem.
The beluga's jaw was fractured during an encounter with two other whales that were part of a compatible social group.
The whale was estimated to be 31 or 32 years old and was originally from the Western Hudson Bay population of belugas.

The aquarium said it was "deeply saddened by the passing of Nanuq."

The beluga was transferred from Vancouver to SeaWorld in 1997.

In 1995, Nanuq sired a daughter, Qila, at the Vancouver Aquarium. Qila remains at the aquarium, contributing to education and conservation efforts.

With files from The Associated Press


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?