British Columbia

'Nobody was coming': Vancouver Island hiker recounts 5-day survival ordeal

Murray Naswell was lost for five days after a hike in Strathcona Provincial Park went bad, but managed to survive after finding a well-stocked cabin on a lake.

Murray Naswell was lost for days after a hike in Strathcona Provincial Park went bad

Murray Naswell, 50, speaks with an RCMP officer and a search and rescue volunteer after he was flown to safety on Monday. (CHEK News)

Murray Naswell, 50, began his hike in Strathcona Provincial Park in fair weather on Wednesday, but the weather — along with his fortunes — took a dramatic turn for the worse.

Naswell was found alive and well midday Monday, after a massive search and rescue effort involving about 120 people from Vancouver Island and the Lower Mainland.

After a harrowing few nights in the cold on a cliff's edge, the Courtenay man managed to find a stranger's well-stocked cabin on a lake, where he was eventually found.

"The cabin saved my life. If it wasn't for the cabin I'd be dead," Naswell said a few hours after his rescue.

Naswell wasn't planning for a strenuous hike — he said an 11- or 12-year-old could have made it up Mount Albert Edward, about 30 km west of Courtenay as the crow flies. But he said he started a little later in the day than he should have, and didn't pay close enough attention to the weather forecast.

On his way down the mountain, Naswell began to feel lousy.

'The fog started coming in'

"I started coming down a little quick ... I started kind of getting — my head was kind of like, "Oooooh," and my gut was like — I was getting the bends," he said, referring to the experience of divers who surface too quickly.

So in his light day-hiking clothes, packing just enough water and energy bars for the day trip, he slowed his descent.

That's when the fog rolled in.

"Once the fog started coming in, you couldn't see nothing," said Naswell, who followed the wrong ridge and soon found himself up against a cliff's edge.

"I ran out of food," he said. "When I stopped on the cliff, I had my last meal."

For water, Naswell took sips off of leaves that had gathered mist drops.

'Nobody was coming'

The hiker assumed the fog would clear and search crews would come for him, but neither happened.

At one point Naswell said a lightning storm sent a bolt to the ground just 15 metres away.

"I sat there for three days and nobody was coming so I had to make another plan," he said.

The new plan involved scaling cliff sides and sliding down steep river beds for hundreds of metres until he saw cabins in the distance across Moat Lake.

"The last thing I did was I jumped off a 20-foot ledge into the water and I swam about half a mile to the cabin," said Naswell.

In the cabin, the 50-year-old got out of his wet clothes and piled under several blankets. He said he shivered there for about an hour before he got his core temperature up.

'I'm not dead'

He found the cabin stocked with a first aid kit for his battered legs, and enough fuel, coffee, and canned food for a few days. The first thing he ate was chicken noodle soup.

"I was saved," he said. "It was like, 'I'm not dead.'"

Murray Naswell is led away from a helicopter after his rescue on Monday after five days lost in the woods. (CHEK News)

Paul Berry, search manager with Comox Valley Ground Search and Rescue, said Naswell knew the area well, but he was supposed to be home by Friday. When they found him on Monday, Berry said he was in pretty good shape.

"He had a big fire going and had cooked himself some — I think he said some Kraft Dinner — so he was warm and fed and in some dry clothes," said Berry.

Naswell was relieved and extremely grateful to be found. He was especially thankful for the owners of the cabin.

"I left a detailed message of what I took," he said. "I'd love to go back up there and put a few things back that aren't in place."

Do you have more to add to this story? Email

Follow Rafferty Baker on Twitter: @raffertybaker


Rafferty Baker

Video journalist

Rafferty Baker is a Video journalist with CBC News, based in Vancouver, as well as a writer and producer of the CBC podcast series, Pressure Cooker. You can find his stories on CBC Radio, television, and online at


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?