British Columbia

Man dies after being shot by Vancouver police

A 51-year-old man shot by Vancouver police has died of his injuries.

Police responded to a call of a distraught man in an East Vancouver intersection around 5 p.m. PT

Vancouver police attend to a 51-year-old man seconds after he was shot Saturday afternoon. The two-by-four police say he was using to threaten them lies near the man's body. (Ron Dunnett/YouTube)

A 51-year-old man shot by Vancouver police has died of his injuries.

Police responded to a call about a distraught man standing in the intersection of East 41st Avenue and Knight Street waving a wooden two-by-four around and shouting loudly at around 5 p.m. PT, police said.

Passersby survey the scene of a police-involved shooting last night in East Vancouver. (CBC)

When officers arrived at the scene, police say they were confronted by the man who refused to comply with their instructions.

In an emailed statement, Const. Brian Montague says police used non-lethal bean bag rounds in an attempt to disarm the man, "but he was eventually shot."

On mobile? Click here for YouTube video of the scene Saturday night

The 51-year-old was rushed to hospital, but did not survive.

Independent Investigations Office takes over

The Independent Investigations Office (IIO), which provides civilian oversight into serious police incidents, was on scene Sunday canvassing neighbouring businesses and homes, and appealing to the public for video of the incident.

Montague says any decision to use deadly force is not an easy one.

Vancouver police on scene last night after shooting a 51-year-old man in the intersection of East 41st Avenue and Knight Street. (CBC)
"It is made in a split second, under difficult and stressful circumstances when our officers feel their life, the life of another officer or a member of the public is in danger and less-lethal options are ineffective or inappropriate," he said. 

"We deal with many violent and volatile situation that are resolved safely, but unfortunately in this incident our officers felt they had run out of options and regrettably he did not survive."

No officers were injured during the incident. 


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?