British Columbia

Inquest begins into murder-suicide of mother and son with autism

A coroner's jury began to hear evidence Monday about the troubles facing a single mother who killed her teenage son and then herself.

Prince Rupert mother Angie Robinson asked for more help before killing her son and committing suicide

Robbie Robinson and his mother Angie were found dead in their Prince Rupert home, in April of 2014, in what police called a murder-suicide. (

A coroner's jury began to hear evidence Monday about the troubles facing a single mother, who killed her teenage son and then herself.

RCMP found the bodies of Angie Elsie Robinson,39, and  Robert (Robbie) Victor Able Robinson, 16, in their Prince Rupert, B.C. home on April 3, 2014. Investigators determined it was a murder-suicide.

Angie was the sole caregiver for the boy, who had severe autism and was prone to violent outbursts, including punching and head butting at school and at home.

On Monday, on the opening day of the coroner's inquest, Robbie's father, Robert Mutch, testified that life with his violent son had been difficult.

"The chaos was incredible."

Angie's sister, Michelle Watson, testified Angie had attempted suicide three times before.

The inquest also heard that Angie had often approached the Ministry of Children and Family Development for help, but no support was available. Angie had also asked for Robbie's father to take care of him, but a judge refused because there was a peace bond and there were restraining orders against Mutch for domestic violence.

Too violent to stay at home

People in their hometown of Prince Rupert told CBC News the mother and son had deep affection for each other. They would often walk the streets of Prince Rupert together for hours on end as a way to calm Robert. 

In a Facebook post in 2014, Angie wrote that Robert had become too violent to stay at home. She had asked the province to help by putting Robert in long-term placement, but was told that wasn't possible. Days later, both mother and son were dead.

Coroner Michael Egilson and the coroner's jury will hear evidence from witnesses under oath to determine the facts surrounding the Robinsons's deaths.

The jury will also have the opportunity to make recommendations aimed at preventing deaths under similar circumstances.

The inquest at the Prince Rupert courthouse is scheduled to continue until Friday.

With files from George Baker