British Columbia

Fire damages businesses in Prince George, B.C.

Several businesses on 3rd Avenue in Prince George, B.C., were damaged, after a fire, Wednesday night.

The popular Nancy O's restaurant was among the 3rd Avenue business affected by the fire

Fire damaged several buildings on 3rd Avenue in Prince George on Wednesday night, including retail store Homework and an adjacent building. (Wil Fundal/CBC)

Several businesses on 3rd Avenue in Prince George, B.C., were significantly damaged by a fire, Wednesday night.

The fire appears to have started at Homework, a home decor and lifestyle store, or the business next door on the 1200 block of 3rd Avenue.

The Prince George Fire Department was called a little before 10 p.m., PT, and crews arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the buildings.

Adjacent businesses, including a popular restaurant, Nancy O's, were badly damaged by smoke and water, but fire officials said nobody was hurt.

Fire fighters climb onto the roof of Nancy O's restaurant, in Prince George, B.C., as they work to put out a fire in a neighbouring building. (Wil Fundal/CBC)

Nancy O's co-owner Garrett Fedorkiw said he wasn't in the restaurant when the fire started.

"When I got the call and started driving downtown, from several hundred metres away you could see the smoke billowing in the air. It was at that point I knew it was quite serious," said Fedorkiw.

"It was a full restaurant — a band on stage — so thank God somebody noticed the fire in the initial stages, and we got everyone [out] right away," Fedorkiw said, "Nobody was hurt, and everybody got out, and it was a raging fire."

Local musician Eric Tompkins was performing at Nancy O's when the alarm was raised.

"We were playing some songs. Somebody said 'everybody get out, there's a fire!' and the place emptied out within about a minute," said Tompkins.

Assistant Fire Chief John Law said the back of the buildings suffered the most damage. 

"We'll be investigating this to determine the cause and find out what took place," he said.

Wednesday night's fire came almost exactly a year after a fire tore through businesses on George Street, just a few blocks away.

With files from Wil Fundal


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?