British Columbia

Man dies in Surrey, B.C. camper van fire

A man's body was found in a camper van in Surrey, B.C. early Saturday.

Officials believe fire was accidental

A man is dead after the van he was sleeping in caught fire. (Rafferty Baker/CBC)

A 55-year-old Surrey, B.C. man is dead after a camper van he was sleeping in caught fire on Saturday.

Police discovered a body after firefighters were called to extinguish flames coming from a van on the 10500 block of Scott Road.

Fire officials say the fire was an accident, caused by a short in the camper's electrical system.

Surrey RCMP say they aren't releasing the man's identity as they attempt to notify his relatives.

The case has been turned over to the B.C. Coroners Service.