CBC British Columbia and UBC host mayoral debates in Surrey, Kelowna and Vancouver
Debate series ahead of October 20 municipal elections
From 100 Mile House to Zeballos, citizens across the province will vote in their local elections on October 20. But do you really know who's running and where they stand on the issues?
Get to know candidates for mayor in Surrey, Kelowna and Vancouver with a debate series brought to you by CBC British Columbia and the University of British Columbia.
Stephen Quinn, host of The Early Edition on CBC Radio One will moderate the debates in Surrey on October 9 and Vancouver on October 17, while the Kelowna debate on October 15 will be moderated by Chris Walker, host of Daybreak South on CBC Radio One.
General admission seating. Please note, unclaimed tickets will be released to the public 15 minutes before the debates commence.
Bonus for Kelowna: BC Today and Radio West will also do live remote broadcasts from the UBC Okanagan campus on debate day. Need to study up on the candidates and issues? You can find all of our coverage of the 2018 B.C. municipal elections here.
Or sign up to receive Metro Matters, our weekly municipal elections newsletter, in your inbox every Thursday.
Given the number of mayoral candidates running in municipalities across the province, we are unable to include all of them in our on-air debates. In order to provide our audience with the most meaningful municipal broadcast debates possible, we will invite candidates based on a combination of the following criteria:
- Incumbents or mayoral candidates representing incumbent parties (those holding seats at city hall).
- Candidates who have held past elected office on city council, or at the provincial or federal level.
- Candidates with demonstrated civic engagement experience as evidenced by work with a civic electoral organization, or inclusion on a city committee.
- Those with demonstrated voter support based on polling results (where available).
- Candidates with defined platforms on a substantive array of civic issues/whose electoral organizations are running a comprehensive slate of candidates.
- Broadcast considerations around airtime and debate format.