British Columbia·Video

'We are moving forward,' Dr. Bonnie Henry says, as B.C. continues to show low numbers of new COVID-19 cases

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry reported 12 new cases of COVID-19 in the province since Saturday and four new deaths.

As of Monday, B.C. has detected 2,530 cases of COVID-19 and 161 people have died

B.C. Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry provides an update on B.C.'s latest COVID-19 numbers. (Mike McArthur/CBC)

THE LATEST:

  • 12 more people have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in British Columbia since Saturday, bringing the total to 2,530.
  • Four more people have died in the past 48 hours, bringing the total number of deaths in the province to 161.
  • There are 267 active cases in B.C.
  • 37 people are in hospital, seven of them in ICU.
  • 2,102 people have recovered, representing 83 per cent of people diagnosed with COVID-19 in B.C.
  • There are 14 ongoing outbreaks in long-term care homes, and two ongoing outbreaks in acute care facilities.
  • No new outbreaks were reported Monday.
  • New data could be reported next week to show how B.C.'s reopening has progressed.
  • Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said despite outbreaks at some facilities, there are no concerns that COVID-19 can be transmitted via food.
  • Big demand for camping this summer is a positive sign, Henry says.

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said early signs are promising as B.C. relaxes health guidance and restrictions to control the coronavirus pandemic.

Henry said there has been "significant progress" in B.C. and new case numbers continue to track low.

"We are moving forward," Henry said. "Our success so far, and our ability to ease restrictions relies on our shared commitment and effort and we need that to continue."

Henry reported 12 new cases of COVID-19 in the province Monday. That brings B.C.'s total to 2,530 cases.

Monday's update reflected cases detected since Saturday afternoon. There was no Sunday update.

Five of the cases reported Monday were detected between Saturday and Sunday. The other seven were detected between Sunday and Monday.

Henry also reported four new deaths connected to COVID-19, all residents of long-term care facilities. In all, 161 British Columbians have died of the novel coronavirus.

Henry said there are 37 British Columbians in hospital with COVID-19 and of those, seven are in intensive care. There are 14 ongoing outbreaks in long-term and assisted care facilities. Two of the outbreaks involve acute care units.

No new outbreaks were reported Monday in long-term care, acute-care units or in the community.

Henry said B.C. currently has 267 active cases of COVID-19. So far, 2,102 people who have tested positive for the disease have fully recovered.

This coming week, she said, will be closely monitored and new data will be shared next week to help understand where B.C. stands in terms of its reopening.

Henry said as individuals, British Columbians are doing the right things, following rules about safe social interactions and taking precautions.

"I really do take that as a positive sign," she said. "People are doing the right things."

Watch as Health Minister Adrian Dix explains why visits to long-term care homes won't be allowed soon:

Adrian Dix: Visits at long-term care homes aren't on the immediate horizon

1 year ago
1:32
B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix said it is 'heartbreaking' that families can't see each other in long-term care, but it's absolutely necessary right now due to COVID-19. 1:32

No food supply concerns

Henry said officials continue to monitor outbreaks at several B.C. food facilities but have no concerns about coronavirus transmission through the food supply.

She said she had received questions about whether COVID-19 could be transmitted via food after several facilities in the province reported outbreaks.

"The food supply is safe and continues to be safe, including from facilities where there have been outbreaks," Henry said, adding there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 being transmitted through food or food packaging.

Parks website woes

On Monday, the B.C environment minister apologized for delays on the B.C. Parks website, which crashed immediately after opening for summer provincial campsite bookings.

The province announced last week that recreational camping may resume on June 1, and that spots would be open to B.C. residents only. 

Henry said the high demand is a good sign.

"[It is] a reflection that we are taking to heart the need to stay close to home this summer and to experience all the many beautiful places in our province," she said.

Nearly 50,000 people tried to book at once, prompting the crash.

If you have a COVID-19-related story we should pursue that affects British Columbians, please email us at impact@cbc.ca.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?

now