British Columbia

Dangerous demolition prompts $10K fine

The company responsible for a dangerous demolition in downtown Vancouver last month did not have a plan in place and did not follow city regulations, a city report said Thursday.

The company responsible for a dangerous demolition in downtown Vancouver last month did not have a plan in place and did not follow city regulations, a city report said Thursday.

During the evening rush hour on June 10, two brick walls being torn down in succession by an excavator crashed onto Helmcken Street, then Hornby Street. The second wall knocked down a light standard, nearly hitting a woman on flag duty on the street.

There were no injuries.

"The contractor … failed to notify a building inspector before commencing the work," said city engineer William Johnston. "That is the opportunity for the inspector to check to make sure all of the requirements are met."

The demolition also required a construction safety plan, which was not in place, said Johnston.

The incident was captured on a number of personal video cameras. One video posted on YouTube has had more than 240,000 hits.

The company, Global Excavation and Demolition, has paid a $10,000 fine and a suspension of permission to operate — imposed the day of the incident — was lifted Thursday.

The company had been issued 13 demolition permits since 1995, but none was for buildings as large as the two-storey structure on the southeast corner of Hornby Street and Helmcken Street.

"This company will be monitored very closely and they are aware failure to comply with out requirements will put their business license at risk," said Johnston.

The company, which plans to be back on the demolition site Friday, declined to comment to CBC News about the June incident.

With files from the CBC's Navjot Heir and Jason Proctor

now