Coquihalla bus crashes prompt safety review by B.C. Transportation ministry
Highway crash that sent 38 people to hospital last month is one reason for review, said minister
Two high-profile bus crashes, including one that injured 38 people on the Coquihalla Highway last month, have prompted a safety review of B.C.'s motor coach industry.
Transportation Minister Todd Stone, who made the announcement Thursday morning, said the review is necessary so locals and tourists can have confidence in bus travel.
The Coquihalla crash, where a tour bus slammed into a tow truck, shearing off the front end of the bus and sending dozens to hospital, is one reason for the review, said Stone.
Such incidents are rare, but tend to involve a large number of people due to the nature of the vehicle, said Stone.
The review will cover motor coaches, which are larger buses that tend to travel on highways, where passengers sit above a luggage compartment. It does not cover school buses or transit systems.
The results of the review are expected to be released next year.
With files from Richard Zussman