British Columbia

Canada Post workers may strike next week — Here's how you can still access B.C. government services

Postal workers at Canada Post will begin rotating strikes on Monday, which may cause complications for people who access government services, receive cheques and other critical documents in the mail.

The postal service will remain open but customers can expect delays

The provincial government is encouraging people expecting to receive cheques and critical documents in the mail to develop contingency plans in preparation for next week’s Canada Post strike. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)

Postal workers at Canada Post will begin rotating strikes on Monday, which may cause complications for people who receive cheques and other critical documents from the provincial government in the mail.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers gave strike notice to Canada Post on Wednesday, saying workers will start rotating strikes on Monday if agreements aren't reached with various bargaining units. Jon Hamilton, a spokesperson for Canada Post, told CBC News that no agreements had been reached as of Friday evening, but negotiations between the union and the company would continue through the weekend.

In the event of a strike, the postal service will remain open but customers should expect delays.

The B.C. Ministry of Citizens' Services said in a statement that British Columbians who have questions about how they will be impacted by the labour disruption should directly contact the ministry or agency responsible.

People who may be impacted include those who receive B.C. government-issued assistance cheques, those who need to make payments to the government, people receiving government-issued identification documents, licenses and certificates, and those applying for or receiving student loans in B.C.

Those who receive government funds through direct deposit will not be affected and will continue to receive payments.

Here is a list of contact information you may need to ride out the strike:

For income assistance and disability payments

For B.C. student loans

To make payments to the province, including ambulance and court fees

To make Medical Services Plan (MSP) payments

For provincial services, including B.C. government-issued identification, licences and certificates

For taxes and tax credits

For driver's licensing, ICBC insurance claims or payments

For renters and landlords

For victim impact statement forms

For birth, marriage and death certificates

  • Vital Statistics Agency
  • 1-800-663-7867

Read more from CBC British Columbia


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.