Natural gas leak leads to warehouse evacuation in Burnaby
Dozens of workers spent hours in the cold as Fortis BC investigated the leak
A linen-cleaning facility in Burnaby was evacuated late Wednesday night after a gas leak near the building.
Fire officials on scene said the leak was caused by a ruptured gas line.
On Thursday morning, FortisBC said it had determined the leak was caused by a customer-owned regulator near their meter. The regulators are meant to control gas pressure.
One worker at the K-Bro Linen Systems warehouse told CBC News they heard a loud explosion just before midnight, before being told to leave the area.
Dozens of workers spent hours in the cold waiting to be let back inside, where several of the washing and drying machines were still running.
There were no reports of any of the workers needing medical attention.
Fortis BC announced Wednesday that the province may continue to experience a limited supply of natural gas during winter, due to a rupture of a natural gas pipeline in October.