2 hikers airlifted from Buntzen Lake trail after being stung by hornets
Wardens will work with B.C. Parks to deal with nest after hikers suffer allergic reaction to stings
Coquitlam Search and Rescue had to use a long line dangling from a helicopter to rescue two hikers at Buntzen Lake after they were stung by hornets on a popular trail.
The hikers, who were in a party of six, were stung on the scenic Diez Vistas trail on the west side of the lake, which is about an hour's drive northeast of Vancouver
The first person stung was a 22-year-old woman who had an allergic reaction to the sting. Rescuers hiked to her location at about 1:30 p.m. PT on Sunday.
Michael Coyle with Coquitlam SAR said the young woman was lifted out by helicopter as a precaution along with her mother, who helped keep her calm.
After the first rescue, the outfit began hiking out with the rest of the party when a 29-year-old man was also stung and showed symptoms of an allergic reaction.
He was given antihistamine medication, but as a precaution, was also flown out using a helicopter long line. Coyle said the man's symptoms improved by the time he was flown out.
The service is warning other hikers to beware of wasp and hornet nests along the trail near the first of the Diez Vistas' 10 views.
"A lot of people were getting stung as they went through there, near what they call the first vista," said Coyle.
Fifteen volunteers worked on the rescues, none of whom were stung.
Our second subject is out of the field and a few of our members are hiking and driving back to base.<br><br>Be ware of the wasp/hornets nest on the Diez Vistas trail near the first vista!—@CoquitlamSAR
Coyle said Buntzen Lake wardens will work with B.C. Parks to deal with hornet or wasps nests on the trail.
Hornets can sting multiple times, with the stings being described as more painful than wasp stings.
Coyle says there isn't much hikers can do to prepare for stings other than to carry antihistamine medications in first aid kits or an Epipen, if hikers know they are allergic to stings.