B.C. burns through temperature records as heat continues
Hot spot Thursday was Warfield at 39.7 C; high temperatures expected through the weekend
Thursday's sweltering weather smashed or tied 20 daily temperature records across B.C., with highs reaching over 39 C in some areas.
The province's hot spot was in Warfield, where the mercury touched 39.7 C, breaking a record of 37.2 C set in 1968.
The heat is expected to continue through the weekend, and special weather statements from Environment Canada remain in effect for most of the southern edge of the province.
Forecasters are urging British Columbians to take precautions against heat stroke and other heat-related illnesses as temperatures are expected soar into the mid-to-high 30s.
Air quality advisories have also been issued for eastern portions of Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley because of high concentrations of ground-level ozone, formed when pollution reacts with the air in sunlight.
Metro Vancouver is advising residents to avoid strenuous exercise during the mid-afternoon and early evening.
Weather records for July 6
- Cache Creek area, 39.2 C (previous record 37.8 C in 1960)
- Castlegar area, 37.9 C (previous record 37.2 C in 1968)
- Clearwater area, 36.4 C (previous record 35.6 C in 1975)
- Clinton area, 29.9 C (previous record 28.6 C in 2015)
- Gibsons area, 27.3 C (previous record 25.8 C in 2015)
- Hope Slide area, 29.7 C (previous record 28.0 C in 2015)
- Kamloops area, 38.5 C (previous record 37.2 C in 1906)
- Kelowna area, 37.3 C (previous record 34.4 C in 1968)
- Mackenzie area, 28.9 C (previous record 28.3 C in 2015)
- Merritt area, 35.7 C (previous record 34.4 C in 1975)
- Nakusp area, 35.4 C (previous record 33.9 C in 2007)
- Nelson area, 37.8 C (previous record 35.0 C in 1922)
- Osoyoos area, 37.8 C (tied previous record 37.8 C in 1968)
- Penticton area, 36.5 C (previous record 34.4 C in 1942)
- Prince George area, 30.6 C (tied previous record 30.6 C in 1920)
- Puntzi Mountain area, 31.9 C (previous record 31.1 C in 1975)
- Squamish area, 29.0 C (previous record 28.5 C in 2011)
- Vernon area, 36.9 C (previous record 36.1 C in 1906)
- Williams Lake area, 31.0 C (previous record 30.0 C in 1975)
- Warfield, 39.7 C (previous record 37.2 C in 1968)