British Columbia

2 northern B.C. hunters donate to rescue group after grizzly attack

Last September Chris Eyre and his friend Robbie Austin were sheep hunting near Fort Nelson, B.C., when they were attacked by a bear protecting her cubs.

Chris Eyre and Robbie Austin nearly lost their lives when they were attacked by the bear

A grizzly bear with her cubs attacked two hunters near Fort Nelson, B.C. (Scott E Read/Shutterstock)

Two northern B.C. hunters nearly killed by a grizzly bear last September have raised more than $30,000 in honour of the search teams who came to their rescue. 

Chris Eyre and his friend Robbie Austin were sheep hunting on Sept. 6 about 200 kilometres south of Fort Nelson, B.C., when the bear attacked. 

"She tore up my face really badly and my arms, and chest. She broke my skull and broke my ribs," Eyre said.

Despite having a rifle on him, Eyre says there wasn't much he could do in the time between spotting the sow and her sprinting 100 metres towards him. 

"It happened all so fast," he said. "I only had about three or four seconds before she was basically on me." 

The grizzly's two cubs looked on as she ripped and tore at his flesh. When his companion yelled at the bear, she grabbed and bit him.  

"If it wasn't for my best friend, she would have killed me, for sure. That's what her intent was," Eyre said. "He got a puncture to his carotid artery, which caused him to have a stroke."

Somehow, Austin managed to fire his rifle and the bear ran off — either because she was wounded or in search of her spooked cubs. 

As Austin lay on the ground, paralyzed by the stroke, Eyre called for help using an emergency satellite communicator. 

But the horror of the catastrophe wasn't over yet. Because it was dark by time team crews were deployed, the two men had to spend the night among the trees in freezing temperatures before the crew from CFB Comox was able to rescue them.

Both men were airlifted to hospital the next morning with the crew's help and the use of long ropes to pull them out of the bush. 

Giving back

This week, the men decided to honour the rescuers who came to their aid. 

"We kind of thought about it and we really wanted to give back," he said. 

Eyre says they couldn't donate money to CFB Comox because it's part of the military. So they decided to donate $33,000 to Prince George Search and Rescue — the closest rescue group to their home in Fort St. John. 

They ran several fundraising events to come up with the donation money, Eyre says, as well as a crowdfunding page.

They also got to meet the CFB Comox team that saved them. 

"It kind of brings closure to the whole thing," he said. 

Neither man has been hunting since the attack, but they both intend to get back into the bush as their emotional scars heal.

Eyre says conservation officers were unable to track the bear. 

With files from Kamil Karamali and Canadian Press


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?