British Columbia

Alaska air carrier suspends operations after 2 deadly crashes in a week

U.S. officials say Taquan Air, whose planes were involved in two deadly floatplane crashes in a week has voluntarily suspended operations.

Taquan Air voluntarily halts 'flightseeing' and commuter flights

The wreckage of the floatplane involved in Monday's crash was pulled onto a beach near Metlakatla Harbor, Alaska. (Kelsie Hayward)

U.S. officials say an Alaska air carrier involved in two deadly floatplane crashes in a week has voluntarily suspended operations.

The Federal Aviation Administration says the halt of "flightseeing" and commuter flights is in place until further notice.

The action comes after the passenger and the pilot of a Beaver floatplane operated by Taquan Air were killed when the aircraft crashed in Metlakatla Harbor on Monday afternoon during a scheduled commuter flight from Ketchikan.

Taquan Air officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Clint Johnson, chief of the National Transportation Safety Board in Alaska, says witnesses reported the crash occurred during landing.

Monday's crash followed the May 13 midair collision of a Taquan Air Beaver floatplane with another floatplane. Six people died in that crash, including one Canadian, and another 10 people were injured.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?