British Columbia

6 taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning in Pitt Meadows

Six people have been taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning due to a gas leak at a business complex in Pitt Meadows, B.C.

Everyone affected was conscious when first responders arrived, and all are expected to make a full recovery

Carbon monoxide detectors immediately showed high levels of the colourless and odourless gas and they evacuated the five businesses. (Gian-Paolo Mendoza/CBC)

Six people have been taken to hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning due to a gas leak at a business complex in Pitt Meadows, B.C.

Fire Chief Mike Larsson said firefighters responded Tuesday to reports of people feeling unwell at Beacon Square around 3:30 p.m.

Carbon monoxide detectors immediately showed high levels of the colourless and odourless gas and they evacuated the five businesses.

Larsson says FortisBC quickly identified a leak in the building's heating, ventilation and air conditioning system and shut off the gas.

He said he expects the individuals who went to hospital to make full recoveries, as they were all conscious and able to talk when first responders arrived.

Larsson also urged anyone with gas appliances in their home or business — including furnaces, hot water tanks and fire places — to install carbon monoxide detectors.

"CO is odourless and it's known as a silent killer so early detection can save lives,'' he said.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

now