2 treated for smoke inhalation after Vancouver SRO fire
Officials say a mattress caught fire in a third-floor room
Two men were treated for smoke inhalation, after a mattress caught fire at a Vancouver Single Room Occupancy (SRO) on West Hastings Street.
Fire officials said the fire started in a third-floor room at the Portland Hotel, a little after 11 p.m. Wednesday.
- Downtown Eastside Washington Hotel fire keeps crews busy
- Fire breaks out in Downtown Eastside building
The room's barely conscious resident was walked out of the building with the help of first responders, and loaded onto a stretcher. He was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics with the B.C. Ambulance Service.
A staff member at the social housing facility was also treated for smoke inhalation.
Fire officials on scene said it was too early to say exactly how the fire started.