Arthur Porter, ex-McGill hospital CEO accused in $22.5M kickback scheme, dies in Panama

Arthur Porter, the former hospital administrator at Montreal's McGill University who was accused in a $22.5-million kickback scheme, has died in a Panama City hospital following a battle with lung cancer.

Death confirmed by both wife and doctor

Arthur Porter, seen here in September 2014 at La Joya prison near Panama City, has died following a battle with lung cancer, his wife says. (John Nicol/CBC)

Arthur Porter, the former hospital administrator at Montreal's McGill University who was accused in a $22.5-million kickback scheme, has died in a Panama City hospital following a battle with cancer. 

He was 59.

Pamela Porter, his wife, confirmed the death to CBC News this morning, saying two of Arthur's four daughters will be leaving soon for Panama to retrieve his body.

Dr. Karol Sikora, a U.K. cancer specialist and longtime friend of Arthur Porter, said Porter died of metastatic lung cancer at 11 p.m. local time Tuesday.

Porter, a cancer specialist, had been diagnosed with the disease in January of 2013. After he was arrested on an international warrant in Panama City in May 2013, he treated himself with experimental drugs while in La Joya prison and fighting extradition to Canada. In recent weeks, he was moved to Santo Tomas Oncology Hospital for diagnostic work.

Jean-Pascal Boucher, spokesman for the Crown prosecutor's office in Montreal, said Wednesday the office is awaiting official confirmation of his death, at which point Porter's file will be closed.

Boucher would not say what effect Porter's death could have on the case against his co-accused in the alleged kickback scheme.

Journalist Jeff Todd, Porter's biographer, said he had a sense the accused doctor wouldn't make it back to Canada to face charges.

Todd, who spent many hours talking to Porter about the accusations against him, said we'll likely never know the truth.

"It was a big story. And I think it has a long way to go," he said. 

"I guess some of it may die with him. He took a lot probably to his grave."

Todd called Porter's death on Canada Day "stranger than fiction" because of his highly publicized standoff with the Canadian authorities for extradition.

"It's a poignant end, for sure,'' he said. "I don't know how you take it, but it's definitely poignant."

Arthur Porter, left, was named by Prime Minister Stephen Harper to the security intelligence review committee, which Porter later chaired before resigning in December 2011. (Ryan Remiorz/Canadian Press)
Porter, originally from Sierra Leone, had a distinguished career after earning degrees at Cambridge University, and becoming an oncology specialist. He came to Canada in the 1980s, working in Edmonton and London, Ont., before moving on to the Detroit Medical Center in 1991, becoming its CEO eight years later. 

In 2004, he became head of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC), and in 2008, Prime Minister Stephen Harper named him to the security intelligence review committee, which he later chaired before resigning in December 2011. 

Harper's office declined on Wednesday to comment on Porter's death.

Porter, 7 others accused of fraud

In 2011, Porter left his job at the MUHC, which under his leadership was finally building a $1.4-billion mega-hospital. 

Within a year, news broke that $22.5 million in alleged kickbacks had been paid by the winning contractor, SNC-Lavalin.

Police have alleged that Porter received $11.25 million in secret commissions for rigging the hospital contract in SNC-Lavalin's favour.

Porter and seven others were accused of the fraud.

By this time, Porter was living in the Bahamas and expanding his own cancer clinics in the Caribbean, while treating himself with chemotherapy.

He was in transit to cancer clinics in the Caribbean when he was arrested in Panama City on May 27, 2013. 

He also leaves behind daughters Gemma, Fiona, Adina and Charlotte.

with files from Tanya Birkbeck and The Canadian Press


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.

Become a CBC Member

Join the conversation  Create account

Already have an account?