The Interview screenings cancelled at some theatres after hackers threaten 9/11-style attacks

A spokesperson for Landmark Sunshine cinemas said the New York premiere of The Interview, scheduled for Thursday night, has been cancelled.

Landmark Sunshine, Carmike Cinemas, reportedly cancel planned screenings

Landmark Sunshine, Carmike Cinemas, reportedly cancel planned screenings 5:07

The blow that the hacking attack has dealt Sony is spreading beyond the entertainment corporation itself to theatre chains and movie goers alike. And the financial toll is adding up, too. 

Threats of violence against movie theatres. The New York premiere of The Interview cancelled. Leaks of thousands more private emails. Lawsuits by former employees that could cost tens of millions in damages.

The fallout from the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack that began four weeks ago exploded Tuesday after the shadowy group calling themselves Guardians of Peace escalated their attack beyond corporate espionage and threatened moviegoers with violence reminiscent of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The Department of Homeland Security said there was "no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theatres," but noted it was still analyzing messages from the group, dubbed GOP. The warning did prompt law enforcement in New York and Los Angeles to address measures to ramp up security.

Those security fears spurred Sony to allow theatre chains to cancel showings of the Seth Rogen and James Franco comedy The Interview, which has been a focus of the hackers' mission to bring down Sony.

A spokesperson for Landmark Sunshine cinemas said the New York premiere of The Interview, scheduled for Thursday night, has been cancelled. Carmike Cinemas, which operates 247 theatres across the U.S., was the first to cancel its planned showings of the film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Other theatres likely to pull screenings: analyst

B. Riley analyst Eric Wold estimates that if box office and attendance revenue is completely lost for Carmike for The Interview, that could cost the chain 1.5 per cent to 1.9 per cent of fourth quarter revenue — not a major loss — but an event in a theatre would swell that dramatically. 
 
"Unfortunately, there is a lot of uncertainty that this brings into play for all exhibitors this holiday season," he said. "The question is whether or not moviegoers are willing to see another movie in its place ... or if this box office and associated attendance is just a loss."

Benchmark Co. analyst Mike Hickey said other chains are likely to follow suit and pull the movie.

"We have a hard time believing any theatre exhibitor would choose to show the movie on Christmas Day, and risk the overhang of potential ramifications from a successful implemented terrorist attack from the hacker group or a random extremist that may have ancillary motivation," he said. 

32,000 more emails leaked

GOP also released a trove of data files including 32,000 emails to and from Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton in what it called the beginning of a "Christmas gift."

And two former Sony film production workers filed lawsuits alleging the Culver City, California company waited too long to notify nearly 50,000 employees that data such as Social Security numbers, salaries and medical records had been stolen.

The filing follows another lawsuit this week from two other former Sony employees accusing the studio of being negligent by not bolstering its defences against hackers before the attack. It claims emails and other leaked information show that Sony's information-technology department and its top lawyer believed its security system was vulnerable to attack, but that company did not act on those warnings.

Sony potentially faces tens of millions of dollars in damages from a class-action lawsuit, said Jonathan Handel, an entertainment law professor at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law.

Rogen cancels promotional appearances

In The Interview, Rogen and Franco star as television journalists involved in a CIA plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. Speculation about a North Korean link to the Sony hacking has centred on that country's angry denunciation of the film. Over the summer, North Korea warned that the film's release would be an "act of war that we will never tolerate." It said the U.S. will face "merciless" retaliation.

The film was slated to hit theatres nationwide on Christmas Day. It premiered in Los Angeles last week.

But on Tuesday, Rogen and Franco pulled out of all media appearances, cancelling a Buzzfeed Q&A and Rogen's planned guest spot Thursday on Late Night With Seth Meyers. A representative for Rogen said he had no comment. A spokeswoman for Franco didn't respond to queries Tuesday.

L.A. police take threats 'very seriously'

The FBI said it is aware of the GOP's threats and "continues to work collaboratively with our partners to investigate this matter." FBI director James Comey last week said that investigators are still trying to determine who is responsible for the hack.

Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck said his department takes the hackers' threats "very seriously" and will be taking extra precautions during the holidays at theatres. The National Association of Theatre Owners had no comment on the developing situation. Neither Sony nor representatives from individual theatre chains, including Carmike, responded to requests for comment.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.