Entertainment

Ghost Adventures couple found dead after Nevada standoff

Police stormed a Nevada apartment after a standoff and found the bodies of an estranged Nevada husband and wife who appeared as ghost hunters in the reality television show Ghost Adventures.

Estranged couple Mark and Debby Constantino had appeared on Travel Channel series

Police stormed a Nevada apartment after a standoff and found the bodies of estranged Nevada couple Mark and Debby Constantino, seen here in 2011, who appeared as ghost hunters in the reality television show Ghost Adventures. (Facebook)

Police stormed a Nevada apartment after a standoff and found the bodies of an estranged Nevada husband and wife who appeared as ghost hunters in the reality television show Ghost Adventures.

Mark and Debby Constantino were found dead Tuesday in a barricaded Sparks apartment. Officials weren't releasing a cause of death but said Mark Constantino fired at officers who approached the door.

The Constantinos were featured in recent years on the Travel Channel's series, including episodes shot at the Mustang Ranch brothel east of Reno, the Goldfield Hotel and the Market Street Cinema in San Francisco.

A SWAT team responding to a hostage situation found their bodies when officers stormed their adult daughter's apartment near Sparks High School following an hours-long standoff.

Mark Constantino shot at officers who approached the door of the Sparks apartment, but they did not return fire, police said.

"The subjects involved in this incident were not shot at or injured by gunfire from any law enforcement personnel," Sparks police Lt. Rocky Triplett said in an email Wednesday to The Associated Press.

Recent restraining order

Washoe District Court records show Debby Constantino obtained a restraining order that was served on her estranged husband last week, and the two were scheduled to appear in court in December regarding their pending divorce.

KTVN-TV in Reno, which videotaped the pair during a ghost adventure in 2007, first reported late Tuesday they were paranormal investigators.

Reno police Lt. William Rulla told the Reno Gazette-Journal that Debby Constantino was the victim in an earlier kidnapping and domestic incident involving Mark Constantino.

On Tuesday, officers heard several shots fired when they knocked on the apartment door and heard a man yelling at police to leave.

The suspect told the officers, "Give me 15 minutes to gather my thoughts, or I'll kill her," Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson told the newspaper.

Police used explosives to open the door. An officer was hurt by broken glass and taken to a hospital.

The Constantinos lectured at paranormal conferences around the country and maintained a website, www.spirit-speak.com.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.