CBC Music's Toyota Searchlight 2022: registration has closed
CBC Music's annual hunt for Canada's best undiscovered talent has begun
Are you the best undiscovered musician in Canada? Do you know of one who's ready to bust out? That's what we're looking and listening for in CBC Music's Toyota Searchlight 2022. The entry period officially begins on Wednesday, April 20, at 3 p.m. ET and ends on May 5 at 3 p.m. ET. This is when all musicians of any genre can register for Toyota Searchlight 2022.
CBC Music's Toyota Searchlight is our annual hunt for Canada's best undiscovered musical talent, and right now it's all about uploading your best song to YouTube and entering the contest.
We're searching for musicians who are truly deserving of a major career boost courtesy of CBC Music, Toyota and the Juno Awards. Could that be you? If so, we ask you to carefully follow these three steps:
- Step 1: Upload your best original song (audio or video) to YouTube.
- Step 2: Register your song with CBC Music here.
- Step 3: Let your fans and friends know you've entered CBC Music's Toyota Searchlight and get them ready to start voting for your song on May 19 to make it into the Top 100. There will only be one voting round this year! All the information for that is here.
You have until Thursday, May 5, at 3 p.m. ET to upload your original song to YouTube and enter. Voting and judging will begin on May 19. There will be four rounds: entry period, Top 100, Top 10 and winners. Our winners will be declared on Tuesday, June 28, 2022.
The incredible prizes you could win this year include your own spot in the Allan Slaight Juno Master Class, Canada's premier talent development program in Toronto. As well, you'll win five days of recording at Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre in Calgary, a trip to the 2023 Juno Awards (location TBA), a performance slot at the next CBC Music Festival, a distribution deal from Play MPE, and a Toyota prize pack for our winner and four runners-up. Check out more information on our amazing prizes here.
Please note that you will be judged on the following:
- Your potential for success in the Canadian music industry.
- Your vocal performance, quality of music and lyric composition.
- Our judges' impression of your song and your career to date.
- Your social media engagement and streaming numbers.
Please also note that the quality of your song will be judged on audio, not video, and your song is only a portion of the criteria needed to succeed.
Previous musicians who have won Searchlight:
2021: Jhyve (Toronto)
2020: Shawnee Kish (Edmonton)
2019: Shopé (Toronto)
2018: Aquakultre (Halifax)
2017: The Long War (Vancouver)
2016: Desirée Dawson (Vancouver)
2015: Orange O'Clock (Sherbrooke, Que.)
2014: Lauren Mann (Brooks, Alta.)
2013: Sherman Downey (Corner Brook, N.L.)