Missing & Murdered: The Unsolved Cases of Indigenous Women and Girls
  return to profiles

CBC needs you

Do you have information on an unsolved case involving missing or murdered indigenous women or girls?

Contact us by email at
or contact us anonymously via
secure drop logo

UPDATE: Police launched a new search in Kitigzan Zibi in July 2017 as a result of a tip they received.

Age-progressed sketches of missing indigenous teens released 7 years later

Laurie Odjick has a voice that captivates you, especially when it comes to stories about her daughter, Maisy Odjick.

“Just seeing her face, her eyes and counting her little fingers and toes,” Laurie said while reflecting on the day she gave birth to Maisy.

“I was already in love because I felt her for nine months, but to see her, hold her, it’s just simply amazing and such a gift. That’s something I will cherish for the rest of my life.”

Maisy and her best friend Shannon Alexander, 17, were reported missing from Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg Nation in Quebec in September 2008.

Laurie said Maisy and her friend were average teenage girls. They went to high school, gossiped about boys and socialized at the popular local hangouts.

Neither girl was in trouble with the law nor did they lead high-risk lifestyles. So when the two suddenly disappeared, it was a shock to everyone who knew them.

The last time Laurie saw her daughter was on Friday, Sept. 5, 2008. Maisy and Shannon were outside Maisy’s grandmother’s house, mowing the lawn.

Maisy at her senior kindergarten graduation (Supplied by family)

Maisy lived with her grandmother and usually mowed the lawn on Saturday mornings. Laurie asked her why she was doing it a day early.

“She said she was going to go spend the weekend with Shannon because her dad was going to help his son in the city [Ottawa] to paint,” Laurie recalled.

Alexander lived in Maniwaki, Que., a town adjacent to the reserve. Maisy often spent nights at her place.

“I hugged her and kissed her and I asked her what she was doing that weekend,” Laurie said.

The girls told her they were going to a school dance.

They went to the Maniwaki arena for the dance that night. Other friends who were at the dance saw the girls leave the arena. That was the last time anyone saw either girl.

When Shannon’s father, Brian Alexander, returned to his apartment, Laurie said he found the girls had left behind their purses, wallets, identification and backpacks. Shannon had even left her medication behind.

Laurie said she believes the investigation into Maisy’s disappearance was mishandled from the beginning by Kitigan Zibi police.

She said her daughter and her friend were labelled as runaways.

“The apartment that Shannon’s dad and her lived in at the time wasn’t even searched,” Laurie said.

She said her family never got a file number and the police didn’t notify media about the disappearance.

“I mean, even the chief and council, nobody ... it seemed like nobody cared at the time,” Laurie said.

In 2008, Maisy didn't get to spend Christmas with her family. She disappeared on September 6 of that year. (Supplied by family)

Maisy’s aunt, Maria Jacko, built a website with information about the girls and their disappearance.

Then more than six days after the girls went missing, Kitigan Zibi Chief Gilbert Whiteduck arranged for a news conference.

“It was even sadder because only the town paper really showed up and APTN,” Laurie said.

She and other volunteers started searching on their own, without the help of police.

After a month went by, the police notified the public. But Laurie feels that valuable evidence was lost by then.

Eventually, Search and Rescue Global One was invited to the community by the chief and council. Two separate searches were conducted, both unsuccessful.

In 2009, the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) provincial police force took over the case. Laurie said relations with the lead investigator are now good.

“From the very beginning, he calls me.... Even if he knows nothing, it’s just reassurance that she’s not forgotten and that makes a world of a difference,” Laurie said, adding that the detective has even given her his personal cell number.

Laurie said she realizes she may never get any answers as to what happened to her daughter. She said the lead police investigator has told her that Maisy's file may soon be shelved.

“He told me there is going to become a time when Maisy’s file will be a cold case, only meaning that with no information coming in, and all the investigating they’ve done led to nowhere,” she said.

In July 2017, there was renewed hope for Laurie and her family. The SQ received a new tip on the girls’ disappearance, leading investigators to conduct a search at the Kitigan Zibi reserve.

Investigators searched Pitobig Creek and the surrounding area in Kitigan Zibi. They also interviewed about 20 people.

The search hasn’t led to any breaks in the investigation, but the SQ say the investigation will continue.

Laurie firmly believes there are people out there who know what happened to her daughter and her best friend.

"I mean, two girls don't just disappear off the face of the Earth. And I'm hoping one day those people who do know something step forward," she said.