Missing & Murdered: The Unsolved Cases of Indigenous Women and Girls
  return to profiles

CBC needs you

Do you have information on an unsolved case involving missing or murdered indigenous women or girls?

Contact us by email at
or contact us anonymously via
secure drop logo

UPDATE: In March 2018, it was announced that the Supreme Court would review the order for a new trial in the case of Bradely Barton, who was accused in the death of Cindy Gladue.

In June 2017, the Alberta Court of Appeal overturned the acquittal of Ontario truck driver Bradley Barton in the death of Cindy Gladue and ordered a new trial.

The appeal court decision said there were flaws in the way the jury was instructed to consider sexual assault offences and the laws relating to consent.

Barton’s lawyer appealed that decision, saying the Appeal Court’s ruling is flawed. In March 2018, it was announced that the Supreme Court of Canada will review the order for a new trial.

In 2015, after the verdict in the original trial, rallies from St. John’s to Victoria took place.

A written statement by Gladue’s mother was read out by one of the organizers of an Edmonton rally.

It began: “My daughter, Cindy Ivy Gladue, was born on July 23, 1974 in Athabasca, Alta. Cindy was my only child for five years until my son, Kevin was born. Cindy got jealous because she now had a brother. She wasn’t the baby anymore.”

Gladue’s body was found in an Edmonton hotel room on June 22, 2011. The Cree mother of three daughters had bled to death in the bathtub from an 11 centimetre wound to her vagina.

Surveillance video from the hotel shows Gladue and Barton leaving his hotel room. The next night, she returned to his room, where she was later found dead.

She was the oldest of four siblings, and the family lived in Cold Lake, Alta. until they moved to Edmonton.

Gladue was happy to live close to her mother’s parents, and her grandmother called her Shandy. She was close to her extended family, but her heart was broken when her grandmother died when Gladue was 16.

Later in life, Gladue loved Facebook, chatting to her friends, cooking and watching cooking shows.

The statement at the Edmonton rally said Gladue’s mother stepped in to help her raise her children because Gladue was doing it on her own.

Her life started to change when she met the wrong crowd, but Gladue remained an optimist despite the ups and downs.

According to her mom, Gladue often said, “Life goes on. What can you do anyways?”