Missing & Murdered: The Unsolved Cases of Indigenous Women and Girls
  return to profiles

CBC needs you

Do you have information on an unsolved case involving missing or murdered indigenous women or girls?

Contact us by email at
or contact us anonymously via
secure drop logo

When Brooklyn Moose told her grandmother, Margaret, she was looking to share rent with someone, Margaret told her to come home.

"I told her, 'Just live here. You don't have to, you know, move.' Because she had a little, tiny baby," she said.

In 2016, that baby is two years old and has no mother. September marks one year since Brooklyn's body was found in the attic of a home in Regina's North Central neighbourhood, where poverty, violence and intravenous drug use pervade the streets.

More than half a year has passed before the 25-year-old was found in the home, where she had lived in the months preceding her death. Brooklyn disappeared on Feb. 27, 2015, after she contacted her mother at around 3 a.m. to say she was leaving a gathering in east Regina.

"She texted her mom … that it was getting too rowdy. They were drinking upstairs, she was in the basement," Margaret Moose said.

"She wasn't drinking…. Going back to her place, something happened. I know she was murdered."

The Regina Police Service conducted what spokesperson Elizabeth Popowich calls a lengthy, thorough investigation into Brooklyn's death, and their conclusion is at odds with Margaret's conviction.

"There was no evidence of foul play or criminal involvement in [the death]," Popowich wrote in an email to CBC News.

At least one person broke into the home, poured gas in the attic and lit it on fire following the discovery of Brooklyn's body, according to the home’s former manager.

"They specifically [put gas] in the attic and lit it on fire. That we know for sure," said the home's former manager, who requested anonymity.

Records show Brooklyn had requested to have her locks changed twice, with the last time being right before she disappeared, according to the manager.

"Her locks were changed almost right before this happened … once was because she kicked out a roommate," he said.

According to Margaret, Brooklyn was living with another woman until December 2014. Brooklyn asked her to leave and, Margaret said, the former roommate responded by threatening her.

"I have no idea what she said, but Brooklyn told me that [she] threatened her," Margaret said.

Still, the home's former manager believes Brooklyn took her own life.

He said he evicted Brooklyn shortly before she disappeared and upon inspecting the home, he saw a television stand placed beneath the attic hatch, with a small amount of insulation on the floor.

When he learned the young woman was missing, he called police and recommended they check the attic.

"When the police officer opened it up, [insulation], like, rained down on top of us. It was bags and bags and bags of it," he said.

"I still think it was probably a suicide just because … there's only one way in and one way out of that attic…. Nobody could get up there and put insulation on top of that door and close it. It's just impossible."

When she learned that police had determined no foul play in her granddaughter's death, Margaret Moose said she was too devastated, too heartbroken, too sad and too weak to question it.

She has since gone to a Shaking Tent, where some Indigenous Peoples go to attend ceremonies that are led by elders who call on spirits for answers. There, she learned Brooklyn has found the spirit world.

"I'm kind of … healing," she said. "She was with me all summer, her spirit."

Now, Margaret Moose says she is working to challenge the police findings.

"I didn't give up," she said.

Do you have more information on any of these cases?

CBC needs you

Contact us by email at mmiw@cbc.ca or anonymously via SecureDrop.

CBC News continues to investigate missing and murdered indigenous women and girls in Canada, looking at the unsolved cases and telling the stories of the families and communities.