Missing & Murdered: The Unsolved Cases of Indigenous Women and Girls
  return to profiles

CBC needs you

Do you have information on an unsolved case involving missing or murdered indigenous women or girls?

Contact us by email at
or contact us anonymously via
secure drop logo

UPDATE: A man, who was a minor at the time of Angela's death, was sentenced to 7 years for second-degree murder

Angela Poorman’s mother went public after Manitoba Justice’s Victim Services branch turned down the family’s request for financial assistance with Poorman’s funeral.
Manitoba reverses decision, will now pay for slain aboriginal woman's funeral.

On the morning of Dec. 14, 2014, a passerby found Angela Poorman lying in the street in one of Winnipeg’s most troubled neighbourhoods.

The 29-year-old mother of three had been stabbed and was in critical condition. She was rushed to hospital, where she later died.

Before she was killed, Angela was living in Winnipeg’s Minto neighbourhood and trying to get her high school equivalency.

“She was a very honest person,” said Janett Poorman, Angela’s mother.

“She was always happy — made a bad situation into a good situation and never had a bad word to say about anybody.”

Angela grew up on the Kawacatoose First Nation in Saskatchewan and spent much of her childhood living with her aunt and cousin.

When she eventually moved back in with her mom in her early teens, she was finishing Grade 7 and extremely independent.

“We didn’t know each other really,” said Janett.

“She kind of leaned on her friends more … she was going to school from her friend’s place.”

Angela would go on to have three children and loved fashion, her mom remembers.

“She was just a hard working person — always happy, always a go-lucky girl,” said Janett.

In November 2016, a man was arrested in connection with Angela’s death. His name was not released because he was 17 at the time of the killing.

The court heard that he stabbed and killed Angela over $20.

He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and in January 2018, he was given the maximum youth sentence: four years in custody and three years in community supervision. He was 20 at the time of his sentencing.

He was given the opportunity to speak before he was sentenced and he apologized to Angela’s family.

"Our family forgives you. I hope you get the help you need," said Veda Gamble, Angela's half-sister, in court.

Before she was killed, Angela was trying to get her life on track.

She had been a victim of domestic violence for years, and her children had been apprehended by child and family services.

Angela was working to get them back.

“She was just a very good person. She always wanted everything so right,” said Janett.

“She was trying hard to get back her life — trying to get back on her feet.”

Do you have more information on any of these cases?

CBC needs you

Contact us by email at mmiw@cbc.ca or anonymously via SecureDrop.

CBC News continues to investigate missing and murdered indigenous women and girls in Canada, looking at the unsolved cases and telling the stories of the families and communities.