WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HOME DNA TESTING KITS:
1. Your genes are only one part of your risk: Lifestyle and environment also play a role in whether you get sick.
2. Not all kits look for the same health conditions: Make sure that a kit will screen for anything you're especially worried about.
3. Many DNA testing kits rely on subjective analysis of results, so different kits may give you different answers.
4. There are no industry standards that determine what makes you "high risk" of getting a disease.
5. Canada has no laws to prevent employers or insurance companies from requesting the results of genetic tests you take.
6. Talk to your doctor about your family history and risk before spending money on a test kit.