Marketplace: Canada's consumer watchdog, we've got your back. Watch Fridays at 8 p.m., 8:30 p.m. in Newfoundland and Labrador
Complete Analysis of Cold-FX Claims
Marketplace commissioned a study from the University of Toronto Faculty of Pharmacy. They conducted a meta-analysis of the following four clinical trials on the efficacy of COLD-FX (CVT-E002, a Proprietary Extract of Panax Quinquefolius, North American Ginseng):

1. Journal of American Geriatrics Society (2004)
2. Canadian Medical Association Journal (2005)
3. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (2006)
4. Influenza Research and Treatment, Hindawi Publishing Corporation (2011)

In the analysis, it was found that:

Relative to placebo, the risk of getting a cold was reduced by about 15% when COLD-FX® was used. The absolute risk reduction was about 6% (this means that if the overall chance of getting a cold is, for example, 50%, then taking COLD-FX® reduces it to 44%). Altogether, 17 people need to be treated to prevent 1 person from getting a cold.

For those who contracted a cold, there was insufficient evidence that the duration or severity was reduced.

Read the full meta-analysis (PDF 129KB)
Broadcast Date: January 13, 2012
Recent Episodes
  • Canada has the highest rate of hospital acquired infections in the developed world, and Canada's consumer watchdog wants to know why. Erica Johnson puts hospital cleanliness to the test, and finds a mess that is making you sick.

  • Dirty Hospitals
  • Going on vacation? Think travel health insurance is going to protect you if something goes wrong? Erica Johnson investigates.

  • Tripped Up
  • In this special one-hour edition of 'Marketplace,' Tom Harrington tests the skills and ethics of home repair services.

  • When The Repairman Knocks
  • Why are prescription eyeglasses so darned expensive? In an eye-opening report, Tom Harrington focuses in on the outrageously high price of spectacles.

  • Framed
  • Tom Harrington and the 'Marketplace' team go undercover, targeting the dubious promises of a job search agency.

  • Recruitment Rip-Off
  • Tom Harrington reveals the story of how, for many unwilling clients, Canada's largest lawn care company has become a more invasive pest than the ones they promise to get rid of.

  • Snake In The Grass
  • Are all airline travel credits created equal? Erica Johnson investigates the credit policies of the top three Canadian airlines.

  • Busted - Air Canada
  • In this year's Top 10 countdown of Lousy Labels, Erica Johnson finds the truth behind the latest buzzwords on food packaging. It will make you think twice before filling up your shopping cart.

  • Lousy Labels: Health Hype
  • Are forest eco-labels worth the (toilet) paper they're printed on? Tom Harrington investigates.

  • The Toilet Paper Chase
  • 'Marketplace' blows the roof off of one of Canada's worst landlords. Tom Harrington exposes renter horror stories, and asks: How can the company get away with this?

  • What FX?
  • It's Canada's top-selling cold remedy, but does COLD-FX really do what the company claims? Erica Johnson puts it to the test. Also, what does Don Cherry have to say?

  • What FX?
  • 'Marketplace' launches our 39th season with a special one-hour episode that takes on Canada's major store chains.

  • Canada's Worst Customer Service
  • 'Marketplace' showcases its new season, and updates a story we first reported last year on the potential risk of popular birth control pills.

  • Spinning A Pill (Update)