Sew Boss: Add floral embellishments to your denim jacket with help from withwendy
Stop and stitch the roses, with this easy embroidery DIY.
Fall is almost upon us, so now is the time to up your jacket game. And thanks to this tutorial from DIY maven withwendy, you can have a completely renewed jacket adorned with fun and sassy floral embellishments in just ten minutes. Denim is the perfect neutral base to build any number of outfits off of, so adding adorable (and super on-trend) embroidered foliage is guaranteed to snazz up your ensemble — just in time for those cooler months!
Here's what you need:
- Jean jacket
- Light green faux suede
- Dark green faux suede
- Red faux suede
- Hot glue gun
- White embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
Here's how to do it:
1. Cut a tapered piece out of your red fabric – roughly in the shape of a carrot. Cut scallops along the tapered edge.
2. Use your hot glue gun to glue the straight edge of your red fabric to your jacket. Twist the fabric into a spiral as you glue, tucking the scallops under to create the petals of the rose. When you've finished, you should have a faux suede red rose on your jacket!
3. Cut a strip of light green fabric and one dark green fabric – about 3cm wide. Fold the strip in half and cut each edge at a diagonal angle. Cut two little slits along the side to give it its leaf-like shape. Unfold and cut straight down the middle.
4. Pair one half of a light green leaf with one half of a dark green leaf, and glue to your jacket.
5. Continue adding as many roses and leaves as you like.
6. Stitch some embroidery floss along the edge of your rose. If you like, you can also add this detail to your leaves. When you've finished stitching, tie your floss off into a knot on the underside of your jacket.
All eyes on you, baby!