Recipe: Tuna and Fennel Salad Sandwich
This is a Mediterranean update on a classic tuna salad sandwich, with fennel substituted for celery and capers for pickles. It’s also lightened with a little yogurt and tangy Dijon.
Tuna and Fennel Salad Sandwich
By Josie Malevich
- ½ cup finely chopped fennel
- 3 tbsp finely chopped red onions
- 2 tbsp capers (drained well)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp crushed fennel seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 can (170 g) tuna, drained well and lightly flaked
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh fennel fronds (optional)
- 4 slices country style rustic bread
- ½ cup arugula
Toss together fennel, red onions, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt, oil, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, parsley and fennel fronds.
Spread tuna salad evenly on 2 slices of bread. Top with arugula and cap with remaining bread slices. Cut each sandwich in half, if desired.
If you are packing this sandwich for lunch, lightly butter the bread so it doesn’t get soggy.
Recipe is just as delicious with chopped or shredded cooked chicken.