Recipe: Rice and Beans Pilaf
Vegetarian friendly, it’s a natural choice for your next pot luck
This rice pilaf is fresh, flavourful and easy to make.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ large red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, no sodium added
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 540 mL can red kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until softened, 8-10 minutes. Add rice and stock, seasoning to taste.
Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Add thawed corn and beans, Continue cooking until liquid has evaporated and rice is cooked, another 5-7 minutes.
Stir in herbs, lime juice and zest. Season to taste and serve with Roasted Pork Loin.